Monday 30 July 2012

My first paycheck


Went to pick up my bank card today, and in the process found out that my first paycheck had come in! Good thing too because the money I had since coming out here was on its last legs (i.e. had no legs left at all). Also I now have 4 bank accounts, check me out. Becoming a proper businessman - the suits, the bank accounts, all I need now is a cape and fangs.

Artist's representation of how much I earned


I've found out it's also much easier to spend money in a currency you're not familiar with. You sort of think "these sheets of paper and lumps of metal can buy me things?!" and not "holy crap, I have no money left to eat now". I'm slowly starting to appreciate the value of the Euro though, even if Greece and Spain may soon make that a pointless endeavour (ooh topical).

My new favourite word

Apologies to the supporteurs of "pardon" but I've made room in my coeur for another word. Are you ready? It's the humble, unassuming "d'accord". For non French-speakers, it means...er it means... well it can mean a huge variety of things, which is one of the main reasons I love it so much! Meanings vary from "alright" to "sounds good" to "yes, I'll do that 3000 word translation for you, you lazy...". 

It's the standard "smile, nod and hope it wasn't a question" but you have a word in your arsenal that makes this approche even more effective. And you thought it wasn't possible!

The only downfall of this approach is if it actually was a question and you didn't clock on. The French have a bad habit of not intoning the end of their sentences to make it a question. So quelquefois that leads to situations like:

Me: "So how was your weekend?"
Them: "Yeah pretty good actually, just lounged around. What did you do?"
Me: "Yeah, right."

Update - My experiment on the Paris metro

If you haven't read my earlier post (go read it right now), this experiment consisted of trying to bring cheer to the metro by looking as cheerful as possible when I'm on it. I can tell you that it's going pretty well so far. It gives you a surprising amount of courage knowing that you won't ever see any of the people on the train again. However, I have decided to lose the manic smile and have settled for a conservative half-smile instead.

For the miserable French though, I'm practically Santa Claus.

On a side-note:

"A single step can change your life"

Step Up 4 is called "Sexy Dance 4" in France. Make of that what you will.


Peace from Paris.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so d'accord with the money thing, the Sexy Dance thing and, err... the d'accord thing! Although I find it more fun just to make noises - have you tried the half-shoulder shrug + grunt combo? That can mean anything you want!

    ReplyDelete